[ntp:questions] Thoughts on KOD

Jan Ceuleers jan.ceuleers at computer.org
Mon Jul 7 17:04:01 UTC 2014

On 07/07/2014 04:04 PM, Danny Mayer wrote:
>> I have no particular preference for the immutable time stamp value to
>> pick. Could be zero, could be some other "meaningful" value (such as
>> 0xeee4baadeee4baad - twice Eek! Bad!).
>>
> KOD already sets a timestamp that is the requesters timestamp. See my
> previous response. It's better than your idea since it is gradual.

Danny,

(What's with the "mine is better than yours" thing?)

I'm not sure why sending the requester's timestamp back to him is better
than an immutable timestamp.

The effect of the former is slow drift, the effect of the latter is (I
suspect) no lock at all due to the lack of passage of time. So I think
that the latter is more likely to catch the admin's eye. If there is an
admin.

Jan