[ntp:questions] Thoughts on KOD

Rob nomail at example.com
Wed Jul 9 07:53:57 UTC 2014

Harlan Stenn <stenn at ntp.org> wrote:
> "Jason Rabel" writes:
>> > There are two obvious ways to go for an embedded client.
>> >
>> > One way would be to use the sntp code as the base.
>> >
>> > The other would be to either use the current NTP codebase and use the
>> > configure options to disable all the refclocks and anything else you
>> > didn't want, or wait until we're done with the post-4.2.8 rewrite.  For
>> > post-4.2.8, we're looking at having a "client core" with any refclock
>> > code being handled a separate process.
>>
>> I do not know if this is the case with NTP, but quite often it takes
>> considerable hacking of sources to get code to compile on non-x86
>> embedded hardware (i.e. ARM & MIPS)... It would probably help boost usage
>> if someone was assuring NTP sources compile on those platforms without
>> the need for modification.
>
> That hasn't been my experience.  But if those platforms need switches
> people just need to send in the patches so we can have configure.ac
> handle them.  I'm happy to help out.

I don't think it is true at all.  I have compiled several existing programs
on a Raspberry Pi and I have not encountered any particular problems that
one would not see when compiling a program that has only ever been tried
on 64-bit Intel on a 32-bit Intel system.

As the ARM is usually little-endian, even endianness issues don't arise.