[ntp:questions] Client using Meinberg NTP can't sync with ntp server problem

Jochen Bern Jochen.Bern at LINworks.de
Thu Jul 10 09:10:21 UTC 2014

On 07/10/2014 10:24 AM, vothanhhung22 at gmail.com wrote:
> Thanks for your explaination. The reason I use NTP because I want my
> computer clock have the same time as the server. It is always 1 or 2
> minutes behind compare to the ntp server.

I admit that it *is* odd that ntpd doesn't change that *eventually* ...

> But as you said "nothing should happen before about an hour from when
> you started. " means there is nothing I can do to "force" it sync
> every 10 minutes?

Except for some (hopefully rare) extreme circumstances, ntpd *does not*
"sync" (= just copy the server's current time to the client, usually
called "stepping") the local clock. If that's truly what you want to do
(and while still using an NTP server), you need to look at SNTP / ntpdate.

Imagine having a wrist watch that, when set to the correct time in the
morning, has drifted so much in the evening to make you miss your train
home. One solution is to adjust the time a couple times during the day
as well, and another is to take it to the horologist to have it repaired
so that it doesn't drift (so much) anymore in the first place.

What ntpd primarily tries to do is the *latter*, and since wildly
*setting* the clock interferes with proper measurements of its drift,
fixing "the time" of the clock (by "slews" instead of "steps") has a
somewhat lower priority.

Regards,
								J. Bern
--
*NEU* - NEC IT-Infrastruktur-Produkte im <http://www.linworks-shop.de/>:
Server--Storage--Virtualisierung--Management SW--Passion for Performance
Jochen Bern, Systemingenieur --- LINworks GmbH <http://www.LINworks.de/>
Postfach 100121, 64201 Darmstadt | Robert-Koch-Str. 9, 64331 Weiterstadt
PGP (1024D/4096g) FP = D18B 41B1 16C0 11BA 7F8C DCF7 E1D5 FAF4 444E 1C27
Tel. +49 6151 9067-231, Zentr. -0, Fax -299 - Amtsg. Darmstadt HRB 85202
Unternehmenssitz Weiterstadt, Geschäftsführer Metin Dogan, Oliver Michel