[ntp:questions] Client using Meinberg NTP can't sync with ntp server problem

Martin Burnicki martin.burnicki at meinberg.de
Thu Jul 10 14:43:22 UTC 2014

Brian Inglis wrote:
> You can start ntpd with -g option which allows it to step your system
> time once,
> when it first starts; using iburst "pool hk.ntp.pool.org iburst" will
> allow the
> correct offset to be set within about 16s after startup. Thereafter it
> will stay
> within +/-128ms of UTC; after it has settled, that should be about
> +/-10ms off UTC.
> As another poster said, adding "pool asia.ntp.pool.org iburst" may
> improve your
> offset.
> Once it gets to long poll intervals, it actually improves the drift
> compensation
> more, and reduces the offset further.

That's the theory how it should work, and how it does work on
non-Windows systems.

In practice ntpd v4.2.6p5 may settle or not at all under Windows Vista
and newer due to Windows bug where Windows doesn't accept small tick
adjustments. See my the link in my other post.

Also, *under Windows* the offset usually *increases* if you let the
polling interval ramp up. See
http://people.ntp.org/burnicki/windows/ntpd-4.2.7-Win7-poll4-max.pdf

where the polling interval is allowed to be ramped up, versus
http://people.ntp.org/burnicki/windows/ntpd-4.2.7-Win7-poll4-6.pdf

where the polling interval is limited to 6.

Martin
--
Martin Burnicki

Meinberg Funkuhren