[ntp:questions] Client using Meinberg NTP can't sync with ntp server problem

William Unruh unruh at invalid.ca
Thu Jul 10 15:47:25 UTC 2014

On 2014-07-10, vothanhhung22 at gmail.com <vothanhhung22 at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thursday, July 10, 2014 10:49:55 AM UTC+7, William Unruh wrote:

>> > Hi all,
>> > After 2 hours it can sync now but I would expect it sync every 15 minutes because my program need precision time.
>> You have no idea how ntpd works do you? ntpd gets the time from its
>> servers. It then adjusts the rate of your clock in order to bring its
>> time in line with those remote clocks. eventually ( 1-10 hrs) its rate
>> will be the same as the remote rate, and its time will be the same as
>> the remote time. Thereafter it will slowly adjust things to stay in
>> sync.
>> Your time will be within somewhere between 10 usec and 10ms of UTC once
>> everything settles down. What does "my program needs precision time"
>> mean? Within 1 pico second of UTC? wihin 10 sec of UTC?
> Thanks for your explaination. The reason I use NTP because I want my computer clock have the same time as the server. It is always 1 or 2 minutes behind compare to the ntp server. That's why I need it to sync the display time every 10 minutes.
>
> But as you said "nothing should happen before about an hour from when you started. " means there is nothing I can do to "force" it sync every 10 minutes?

STOP USING GOOGLE GROUPS. It totally messes up the responses sticking in
millions of blank lines. It makes your message unreadable. Get a decent
news host.

Again you forgot to read my explanation of how ntp works. Until you do
so, you will remain confused ( you might remain confused even after you
read it of course). ntpd does not "sync the clocks" as you think it
should. It does not work like that. It will eventually sync the clocks
and they will stay synced to second accuracy even if the connection
breaks for days. But it takes a while to do so.

No you cannot "force it to sync every 10 min" that is not how it works.
Learn how it works, and you will be happy. Think you know how it works
and you will be disappointed.