[ntp:questions] Client using Meinberg NTP can't sync with ntp server problem

David Woolley david at ex.djwhome.demon.invalid
Fri Jul 11 08:46:04 UTC 2014

On 11/07/14 07:51, vothanhhung22 at gmail.com wrote:
> In my case (as  William explained) it is not a normal clock rate sync
> but just a copy time from ntp server to machine clock. So what I am
> wondering now is if it is right in my situation to use ntp to "sync"
> from ntp server.

w32time is good enough for such crude use of NTP.

> The machine I am trying to "sync" is a VPS machine.

However neither of them are likely to be appropriate for whatever your
underlying problem is; you need to fix that problem before you start
trying to synchronise the time.

As someone else said, is this a virtual machine?  If so you may be fighitng:

1) virtualisation of the timing hardware;

2) automatic synchronisation of the time to the host machine time.

Usually the correct method for a VM is to get good synchronisation on
the host and then use the VM environment's time keeping support to lock
the guest to the host.