[ntp:questions] NTP aaccount password

Martin Burnicki martin.burnicki at meinberg.de
Mon Jun 16 13:41:56 UTC 2014

Hi,

sorry for stepping in so late, but I've been on vacation with limited
internet access.

garrettbrian1960 at gmail.com schrieb:
> I have been trying to install the Meinberg NTP build for Windows and
> the install is going through, yet NTP won't start because the client
> is saying the password is wrong.  I did have NTP on there years ago
> but I uninstalled it, but apparently the password is still in there
> and I don't remember what it was.  Where does Meinberg's NTP client
> store its password?  I would imagine it's a registry key but I have
> no idea where to look.

The installer creates a hidden user with the name "ntp".

1.) You can use the Windows account manager (in some extended mode,
depending on the Windows version) to delete this account. When you then
re-install the NTP package y new user "ntp" will be created with the
password you give during installation.

2.) Running the NTP service under a dedicated user account is a security
feature which shall limit the rights gained by an attacker in case the
NTP service is compromised. Alternatively you can re-install the NTP
package but during installation select "run the service as system
account", which doesn't require the special "ntp" user, and doesn't
require a password.

Of course, option 1 is more secure than option 2.

Martin
--
Martin Burnicki

Meinberg Funkuhren