[ntp:questions] error message on startup

Steve Kostecke kostecke at ntp.org
Sun Mar 2 03:38:43 UTC 2014

On 2014-02-28, Dwayne Hottinger <dhottinger at harrisonburg.k12.va.us>
wrote:

> Ive just finished upgrading ntp to version Ver. 4.2.7p421 in order to
> keep from becoming a ddos member. I changed the init.d script to point
> to /usr/local/bin/ntp if I run the script I get the following error
> message ntpd error: 'ntp' is not a recognizable number. I can start
> manually using: /usr/local/bin/ntpd -u ntp -p /var/run/ntpd.pid and it
> seems to run.

We don't ship an init script with the NTP distribution. So we don't know
what you're using.

>  However, Im not able to sync with my internal network.  I added the
> following to my ntp.conf file:
>
> ###Added 02/28/2014 for security and ddos should prohibit outside access
> restrict default ignore
> restrict 127.0.0.1
> ##For internal 10. network and public ips allows ourservers to still work
> restrict 10.40.0.0 mask 255.255.0.0 nomodify notrap

You're not allowing your ntpd to talk to any remote time servers.

Please refer to http://support.ntp.org/Support/AccessRestrictions and
follow the decision tree in that topic.

--
Steve Kostecke <kostecke at ntp.org>