[ntp:questions] Help with cross-compiling NTP for the Raspberry Pi requested

Harlan Stenn stenn at ntp.org
Thu Mar 6 05:53:10 UTC 2014

I'm very comfortable that the process described at:

 http://support.ntp.org/bin/view/Dev/Cross-compilingNTP

is correct.  It happens to follow the recommended process for
cross-compiling projects that use autoconf/automake.  NTP is one of
these.

I've used it many times before at several locations.  I have not had to
use it over the past few years' time.

There may be more options now, with newer versions of automake and
autoconf.

You wrote:

> The description on
> http://support.ntp.org/bin/view/Dev/Cross-compilingNTP mentions a
> "proper" cross-compile environment and somewhat later continues with
>
>  "gcc (which is symlinked to <name-of-cross-compiler>)"

No, gcc in that specific case is *not* a cross-compiler.

The actual content says:

 On a sparc-sun-solaris2.10 machine that has a cross-compile environment
 for i386-unknown-freebsd6.2, you should find the following executables
 on your system:

  *  gcc (which is probably symlinked to sparc-sun-solaris2.10-gcc )
  *  sparc-sun-solaris2.10-gcc
  *  i386-unknown-freebsd6.2-gcc

The first two compilers are likely identical - the example says the
build machine is a sparc-sun-solaris2.10 machine with gcc.  Therefore,
'gcc' and 'sparc-sun-solaris2.10-gcc' can be identical.

In that example, the cross-compiler is i386-unknown-freebsd6.2-gcc .

I'd also recommend folks be careful about "mixing" the instructions for
cross-compiling NTP with the instructions for cross-compiling "other
things".