[ntp:questions] Help with cross-compiling NTP for the Raspberry Pi requested

Harlan Stenn stenn at ntp.org
Fri Mar 7 03:35:59 UTC 2014

Rob Windgassen writes:
> On Thu, 06 Mar 2014 05:53:10 +0000, Harlan Stenn wrote:
>
> > You wrote:
> >
> >> The description on
> >> http://support.ntp.org/bin/view/Dev/Cross-compilingNTP mentions a
> >> "proper" cross-compile environment and somewhat later continues with
> >>
> >>  "gcc (which is symlinked to <name-of-cross-compiler>)"
> >
> > No, gcc in that specific case is *not* a cross-compiler.
> >
> > The actual content says:
> >
> >  On a sparc-sun-solaris2.10 machine that has a cross-compile environment
> >  for i386-unknown-freebsd6.2, you should find the following executables
> >  on your system:
> >
> >   *  gcc (which is probably symlinked to sparc-sun-solaris2.10-gcc )
> >   *  sparc-sun-solaris2.10-gcc *  i386-unknown-freebsd6.2-gcc
> >
> > The first two compilers are likely identical - the example says the
> > build machine is a sparc-sun-solaris2.10 machine with gcc.  Therefore,
> > 'gcc' and 'sparc-sun-solaris2.10-gcc' can be identical.
> >
> > In that example, the cross-compiler is i386-unknown-freebsd6.2-gcc .
>
> You are correct, I didn't read it carefully enough and made an error in
> my interpretation that sparc-sun-solaris2.10-gcc is not the cross-
> compiler in this case.
>
> Still the description does not help when "proper" cross-compile
> environment isn't made clear.

Agreed - thanks for pointing this out.  I sometimes forget that there
are many non-native English speakers reading these instructions, and
sometimes I also expect that only full-on developers will be doing
cross-compiles.  Sometimes I will "point the way" and sometimes I will
offer "careful detail".