[ntp:questions] Help with cross-compiling NTP for the Raspberry Pi requested

David Taylor david-taylor at blueyonder.co.uk.invalid
Fri Mar 7 20:42:41 UTC 2014

On 07/03/2014 18:10, Charles Swiger wrote:
> Hi--
>
> On Mar 7, 2014, at 7:30 AM, David Taylor <david-taylor at blueyonder.co.uk.invalid> wrote:
> [ ... ]
>> No, still getting an ntpd which is 2.87 MB in size, whereas on the Raspberry Pi native build it's 2.0 MB.  The Intel Debian version is 2.74 MB.
>
> Run 'file ntpd' to see which architecture it's compiled for.  (The size of ntpd is not especially relevant...)
>
> Regards,

Thanks, Chuck.  That's interesting - I get:

ntpd: ELF 64-bit LSB executable, x86-64, version 1 (SYSV), dynamically
linked (uses shared libs), for GNU/Linux 2.6.26,
BuildID[sha1]=0x0ab8a3efbd066aa259e20d9abedbe4d1a0d1d1ba, not stripped

So if I read that correctly, I have ended up with a 64-bit Intel version
instead of a 32-bit ARM version.  I was using the file size in the
expectation that if a cross-compile had worked, the executable should
have been quite similar in size to a native build.

--
Cheers,
David