[ntp:questions] Time of by 4 min

David Woolley david at ex.djwhome.demon.invalid
Fri Mar 14 11:35:18 UTC 2014

On 14/03/14 09:52, David Taylor wrote:
> On 14/03/2014 08:59, Martin Burnicki wrote:
>> David Taylor wrote:
> []
>> So if you want to have an own NTP server for your network my advice is
>> to set up an extra machine running ntpd e.g. with a GPS time source, and
>> then just point the DC to this machine.
>>
>>> [Caveats: I haven't used the Windows Time Service for many years, and I
>>> believe it is a little better now, and I don't run a domain.]
>>
>> I'm not running a domain, either, but what I've written above is the
>> conclusion from discussions here on the list and with our customers.
>>
>> Martin
>
> Thanks for that, Martin.  Your suggestion sound to be an excellent one.
>
> I take it that someone has raised a bug report with Microsoft about NTP
> being unable to be authoritative?  <G>

Why would they treat it as a bug?  Microsoft make money by selling
server licences, so clients should be accessing their time from those
servers.  They provide software to run on those servers, to provide that
time.

One result of using reference ntpd is that you can use a workstation in
a server role (but beware, there may be clauses that prevent even third
party server software).