[ntp:questions] Not being able to sync the embedded target (client) with the host (server)

Laszlo Papp lpapp at kde.org
Fri Mar 14 18:24:29 UTC 2014

Nvm, I solved it by using busybox's ntp for the time being.

On Fri, Mar 14, 2014 at 6:18 PM, Charles Swiger <cswiger at mac.com> wrote:
> Hi--
>
> On Mar 14, 2014, at 9:05 AM, Laszlo Papp <lpapp at kde.org> wrote:
>> I was told that this would not be a bug, although I could not figure
>> out yet why it is not working.
>
> Told by whom?

People in #ntp and on bugzilla.

>> As far as I know, this should work
>> simply by putting the following two lines into the client
>> configuration:
>>
>> driftfile /etc/ntp.drift
>> server 192.168.A.B iburst
>
> OK, that should be adequate for a minimal client config.

Yes.

> (BTW, also note that there is very little point in obscuring RFC-1918 addresses.)

As you note that it does not matter much either way. Although, it is
less likely to write a typo for A.B than concrete numbers, admittedly.

>> Yet, the time is not getting sync'd. This is the server configuration, fwiw:
>>
>> server 0.pool.ntp.org iburst
>> server 1.pool.ntp.org iburst
>> server 2.pool.ntp.org iburst
>> server 3.pool.ntp.org iburst
>>
>> # restrict default kod nomodify notrap nopeer noquery
>> # restrict -6 default kod nomodify notrap nopeer noquery
>>
>> restrict 192.168.0.0 mask 255.255.255.0 nomodify
>>
>> restrict 127.0.0.1
>> restrict -6 ::1
>>
>> driftfile /var/lib/ntp/ntp.drift
>> logfile /var/log/ntp.log
>>
>> I do not see any error in the syslog either. I have tried to use "ntpd
>> -q" for a one-shot set without much luck. I am probably doing
>> something fundamentally wrong, but I was not able to figure out yet.
>
> Try running 'ntpq -pcrv 192.168.A.B' from your client.

Yeah, I was running that.

> Pay particular attention to the line containing status flags; if the server isn't
> showing sync_ntp, then clients aren't going to be willing to trust it for time.

Yep, that was there. The interesting part is that it works for the
first time after a while, and it gets broken when I try to set the
"date" explicitly by the corresponding command. For some reason, ntp
cannot sync afterwards. Reboot and/or restarting the daemons may help
though.