[ntp:questions] Time of by 4 min

Martin Burnicki martin.burnicki at meinberg.de
Mon Mar 17 09:24:31 UTC 2014

David Woolley wrote:
> Why would they treat it as a bug?  Microsoft make money by selling
> server licences, so clients should be accessing their time from those
> servers.  They provide software to run on those servers, to provide that
> time.
>
> One result of using reference ntpd is that you can use a workstation in
> a server role (but beware, there may be clauses that prevent even third
> party server software).

Nevertheless, if general it should be possible to add some code to ntpd
which eventually (by config option or so) lets it register itself as
authoritative time server for the AD domain. Some investigation would be
required how to do this, and "someone" had to implement this in ntpd.

However, you still don't know if there are some "hidden features" of
w32time in that role which were still missing in ntpd.

For example, Microsofts way to authenticate NTP packets. As far as I
know there is some support for this in ntpd, but only for the case where
ntpd runs on a Samba server, but not for the Windows port of ntpd
running on a real Windows server.

I don't know, though, if this type of authentication is required or
optional in current Windows AD domain implementations.

Martin
--
Martin Burnicki

Meinberg Funkuhren