[ntp:questions] IEEE 1588 (PTP) at the nanosecond level?

Tue Mar 18 01:23:26 UTC 2014

Joe Gwinn wrote:> But my question is about the state of the art in PTP systems, not
>  systems in general.

(Shrug) I have Seven {About $500kUSD} AB GuardLogix Systems
 using AB {ODVA} CIP Sync IEEE 1588-2008 standard for time synchronization.

  It is not using any NTP, GPS, or IRIGB clock sources (although it could).

Typical offsets I have observed {it claims} from the MasterClock are around 180ns;
 (through up to three AB routers / switches that support IEEE 1588-2008 PTP ).

  I haven't done any long term data logging of the offsets,
   as much as a few ms of offset would be fine for the application.

Integrated Architecture and CIP Sync Configuration Application Technique
<http://literature.rockwellautomation.com/idc/groups/literature/documents/at/ia-at003_-en-p.pdf>
 if anyone is interested in reading 180pages of mostly proprietary stuff.

  will be added to the BlackLists.