[ntp:questions] NIST wonders if it makes sense to outsource NTP over the public Internet

Majdi S. Abbas msa at latt.net
Wed Mar 19 19:43:22 UTC 2014

On Wed, Mar 19, 2014 at 12:20:55PM -0700, E-Mail Sent to this address will be added to the BlackLists wrote:
> Certichron (Time-Evidence Services) via
>  <ustiming.org> (USTS) The United States Time Server Foundation
>   is already doing that?

	No, they're not.

>  They are already a significant portion of the NIST NTP servers;
>   They operate Eleven out of Thirty Four (Thirty Two Percent).
>    <http://tf.nist.gov/tf-cgi/servers.cgi>
>
>  They have Commercial Private Access NTP servers / services as well.

	ustiming.org's DNS servers have been down for ~55 days now;
this used to apply to the Certichron parent, but now GoDaddy is
answering queries for that zone (and directing people to a holding
webpage.)

	While only some of their servers are officially marked down at:

	http://tf.nist.gov/tf-cgi/servers.cgi

	The rest are non-functional (or functional, but without working
DNS.)

	This may be either an attempt to rescue Certichron, or find a
replacement, because too many eggs were placed in that basket.  Of
course, this is all speculation on my part.

	Does anyone know what happened to Certichron/USTiming?

	Thanks,

	--msa