[ntp:questions] Best ways to get the reference times from ntp

David Woolley david at ex.djwhome.demon.invalid
Thu May 1 06:53:19 UTC 2014

On 30/04/14 10:22, Maximilian Brehm wrote:

> On 2014-04-30, William Unruh  wrote:
>   >On 2014-04-30, Maximilian
> Brehm  wrote: >> >> >> Hey, >> >> for my application (external to ntpd)
> I would like to extract >> the reference times of the peers ntpd

> be sure that the system time is within millisecond range of the
> reference time.

1) Please replace your mail client:

    a) it is mangling the quoted text by replacing all newlines
       by spaces (quoted text should be manually trimmed, not
       just compressed vertically);
    b) it is failing to send a valid In-Reply-To header (you are
       the second current poster with the second problem).  This
       means it is impossible to thread the messages properly.

2) I'm not convinced you really mean "reference time".  Reference time
is the last time that the root server read its underlying reference
clock, which can be hours ago.

(The last time there was a big threading problem was almost two decades
ago, when an amateur "news" network was being gatewayed to usenet.)