[ntp:questions] Explaining Technical Detail to Technically illiterate journalist

Tue May 20 16:14:37 UTC 2014

Martin Burnicki wrote:
> I've recently started to write a whitepaper about computer time
> synchronization. It is not yet complete but already contains a lot of
> basic information which may be helpful for folks who are not very
> familiar with that stuff.
>
> A preliminary copy is available here:
> http://www.meinbergglobal.com/english/info/#whitepaper

Re: <http://www.meinbergglobal.com/english/info/cablelength.htm>
 RS-232 signals (COM) via shielded data cable
    dependant on cable quality
    dependant on the baud rate of the signal (e.g. 15m at 19200 Baud)
----^^^^^^e^^

 Yes, _very_ dependent on cable quality.

    However a Shielded Cat5e cable will work great
     to 300m at 19.2k bps;
     {I do it all the time, with "real" (to spec) RS232 drivers}.

     Higher baud rates have shorter cable limits.

      The capacitance of the cable
       (even almost all normal "RS232 serial cables"),
       turns the square waves into something the receivers
        can't recover correctly.

       {Take a look at the signals at the far end of the
         cable with a oscilloscope!}

  will be added to the BlackLists.