[ntp:questions] NTP servers not accessible on some networks

Antonio Marcheselli puppa at me.la
Wed May 21 04:57:31 UTC 2014

On 21/05/2014 03:27, E-Mail Sent to this address will be added to the
BlackLists wrote:
> Antonio Marcheselli wrote:
>> Version is 4.2.4p (yes, I know. It's the same version I've been talking
>> about and I cannot upgrade it unfortunately).
>>
>> When running ntpq -p I've got this
>>
>> xxxxxxx-2:/etc# ntpq -p
>> remote       refid  st t when poll reach delay offset jitter
>> 130.88.200.4 .INIT. 16 u    -   64   0   0.000  0.000  0.000
>>
>> xxxxxxx-2:/etc# ntpdate 130.88.200.4
>> 20 May 23:30:11 ntpdate[16690]: no server suitable for synchronization found
>>
>> The same 130.88.200.4 works from other networks.
>

> It appears your client quries are not making it to the server,
>   or answers from the server are not making it back to your client.
>
> Seems like an issue with your client PC, PC Firewall, ...,
>   or client NTP .conf, or LAN Firewall / Router rules,
>   or ISP  Firewall / Router rules.
>

>> If I keep pinging different pools,
>>   I can find another NTP server which replies.
>
> Seems strange, that would imply that the server 130.88.200.4
>   (or their ISP) is blocking your client?

Hi,

I had another NTP server setup, I stopped the NTP daemon, change the
configuration to 130.88.200.4 and restarted it again. 16 is because the
server has never been reached. The server can be ping'd of course. And
it works as NTP from somewhere else.
No issues with my side of the network, I end up on a router which I
manage and has no special firewall rules in it. And again, other NTP
servers do work. This has happened on a few sites around the UK.

I'll post the ntp.conf later.

in the meantime thanks for your help!