[ntp:questions] Meinberg M200 remote monitoring

Jochen Bern Jochen.Bern at LINworks.de
Tue May 27 13:57:10 UTC 2014

On -10.01.-28163 20:59, lars at larsdebruin.net wrote:
> I am looking for a good method to monitor my Meinberg M200 GPS unit.
[...]
> I would like to poll the NTP server and then make an RRD and then
> plot an image on my webpage with the statistics.
> If anybody has an RRD template, don't hesitate to send it to me :)

Throwing an RRD template your way doesn't make much sense until it has
been pinpointed what data you can get from the unit, what software you
use to retrieve it and stuff it into RRD files (*), and the potential
(re)format(ting) issues along that chain.

(*) Examples: MRTG and Cacti as "traffic" recording tools (data will be
collected in very regular intervals); Nagios, Naemon, Icinga, Shinken,
... with some "performance data backend" add-on (NDO/IDO, PNP4Nagios,
n2rrd, InGraph, ...) as dedicated monitoring solutions (frequency of
requests will increase when something is amiss); just take "snmpget"s
and "rrdtool update"s, roll a shell script, and put it into the crontab;
various commercial, SNMP-aware network management/monitoring tools, if
you happen to already have one; .......

... and note that the tool that creates the graph *to put onto your
webpage* could still be a bare "rrdtool graph", instead of whatever
mechanism is provided along with the "collector" solution.

Regards,
								J. Bern
--
*NEU* - NEC IT-Infrastruktur-Produkte im <http://www.linworks-shop.de/>:
Server--Storage--Virtualisierung--Management SW--Passion for Performance
Jochen Bern, Systemingenieur --- LINworks GmbH <http://www.LINworks.de/>
Postfach 100121, 64201 Darmstadt | Robert-Koch-Str. 9, 64331 Weiterstadt
PGP (1024D/4096g) FP = D18B 41B1 16C0 11BA 7F8C DCF7 E1D5 FAF4 444E 1C27
Tel. +49 6151 9067-231, Zentr. -0, Fax -299 - Amtsg. Darmstadt HRB 85202
Unternehmenssitz Weiterstadt, Geschäftsführer Metin Dogan, Oliver Michel