[ntp:questions] NTP aaccount password

Danny Mayer mayer at ntp.org
Thu May 29 03:17:24 UTC 2014

On 5/28/2014 6:00 PM, E-Mail Sent to this address will be added to the
BlackLists wrote:
> On 5/28/2014 1:47 PM, garrettbrian1960 at gmail.com wrote:
>> I have been trying to install the Meinberg NTP build
>>   for Windows and the install is going through,
>>   yet NTP won't start because the client is saying
>>   the password is wrong.
>>  I did have NTP on there years ago but I uninstalled it,
>>   but apparently the password is still in there
>>   and I don't remember what it was.
>>  Where does Meinberg's NTP client store its password?
>>  I would imagine it's a registry key but I have no idea where to look.
>
> Its a hidden windows user,
>  just make the ntp user visible,

No, it's just a windows account. You don't say what version of Windows
you are running so it's hard to advise on how to find it. I don't know
how Meinberg's installer works so I don't know if it uses a fixed
account name.

>   {Search the registry for SpecialAccounts,
>     remove it from the UserList,
>     it won't be hidden anymore}

Huh? You cannot normally search the Registry for SAM accounts.

>  Delete the account, and Reinstall Meinberg?

There are two parts to this. First is the account, which if Meinberg's
installer is doing it correctly will be a restricted account with just a
few privileges, and will not be a member of the Users group. The second
part is that ntpd runs as a windows service and you need to have the
password to the account running the service the same as the windows
account. Having different passwords in the two places will cause the
windows sevice to fail to start.

Danny