[ntp:questions] NTP aaccount password

mgy1912 at cox.net mgy1912 at cox.net
Fri May 30 05:16:03 UTC 2014

On Thursday, May 29, 2014 11:47:58 AM UTC-7, E-Mail Sent to this address will be added to the BlackLists wrote:
> > BlackLists wrote:
>
> >> Its a hidden windows user, just make the ntp user visible,
>

> >>   {Search the registry for SpecialAccounts,
>
> >>     remove it from the UserList,
>
> >>     it won't be hidden anymore}
>

> Danny Mayer wrote:
>
> > No, it's just a windows account.
>
> > You don't say what version of Windows you are running
>
> >  so it's hard to advise on how to find it.
>
> > I don't know how Meinberg's installer works so I don't
>
> >  know if it uses a fixed account name.
>

> > Huh? You cannot normally search the Registry for SAM accounts.
>

> I beg to differ on both counts above.
>
>  (At least based on M$'s Key Names, and Labels in utilities).
>

> e.g. Win XP-Pro-32-SP3, A (Administrator) search of the registry for "SpecialAccounts"
>
> lead to the following KeyName where DWORD "NTP" with value zero can be found.
>
> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon\SpecialAccounts\UserList
>

> Before deleting the NTP dword, it did not appear under Control Panel -> User Accounts,
>
>  after deleting the dword, it does "NTP Service Account"; You can also find it under:
>
>   Administrator Tools, Computer Management, Local Users and Groups, Users..
>

>  This is likely from a Meinberg 4.2.4 circa 2008 or 2009 install;
>
>   {Last updated to 4.2.7p440}.
>

>  I'll try the same on a Win7 of some flavor. if I find the time.
>

> --
>
> E-Mail Sent to this address <BlackList at Anitech-Systems.com>
>
>   will be added to the BlackLists.

I looked for HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon\SpecialAccounts\UserList, but in the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon\directory there is no subdirectory called SpecialAccounts (I am using Windows 7 by the way.) Searching for local users in e.g. Admin Tools turns up nothing, mine is the only account it shows.

Brian