[ntp:questions] Authentication with public NTP Server

basant.amaty at googlemail.com basant.amaty at googlemail.com
Mon Nov 3 09:41:33 UTC 2014

Hi Everybody,

Good day,

I am a bit novice with using authentication with NTP.

I followed http://support.ntp.org/bin/view/Support/ConfiguringAutokey#Section_6.7.3.2.1. and it looks like that I am getting authenticated response from NTP server.

I tested with a NTP server and a NTP client both located in private LAN (in addition NTP server has access to public NTP server pool.ntp.org). Here is the result from NTP client.

ntpq> pe
     remote           refid      st t when poll reach   delay   offset  jitter
*CC-Test         106.186.114.89   3 u   29   64  377    0.388   -3.455   2.091
ntpq> as

ind assid status  conf reach auth condition  last_event cnt
  1  4216  f63a   yes   yes   ok   sys.peer    sys_peer  3
ntpq>

Can anybody confirm that the NTP client is working with authentication. I guess its working as suggested by auth=ok. Just wanted to confirm.

Furthermore, Is it possible for NTP client to work directly from public NTP server with authentication? If yes has anybody any idea how to do it ?

Thanks in Advance !!!