[ntp:questions] problem with pool directive?

Dave Morgan morgad at eclipse.co.uk
Mon Nov 10 18:14:52 UTC 2014

Rob wrote:
> Harlan Stenn <stenn at ntp.org> wrote:
>> Rob writes:
>>> I compiled ntp-dev 4.2.7p448 on the CubieBoard2 (ARM processor) and added
>>> a "pool pool.ntp.org" line to the config.   It does not work.  Output
>>> of ntpq -pn is:
>>>
>>>  pool.ntp.org    .POOL.          16 p    -   64    0    0.000    0.000   0.00
>>> 2
>>>
>>> When I change "pool" to "server" it works OK, but of course it is hardwired
>>> to a single server selected at boottime.
>>>
>>> Is there any known problem with this?
>> Not that I'm aware of.  I do similar things at a few sites and it works
>> for me.
>>
>> Do you have "restrict" lines in your ntp.conf file?
>
> Yes I have the now default "restrict" lines, to remedy the DDOS problem.
> There are no specific restrict lines for my other servers.
> Do I need a specific one for the pool directive?

add a 'source' restrict line ?

excerpts from my ntp.conf

pool 0.uk.pool.ntp.org iburst preempt

# By default, exchange time with everybody, but don't allow configuration.
restrict default kod limited nomodify notrap nopeer noquery
restrict -6 default kod limited nomodify notrap nopeer noquery
restrict source limited nomodify notrap

# Local users may interrogate the ntp server more closely.
restrict localhost
restrict 127.0.0.1
restrict ::1

best regards