[ntp:questions] three questions about ntpd, kvm-clock and clock speeds

Thu Oct 30 18:38:29 UTC 2014

Marco Marongiu wrote:

> Apologies for this question not being 100% pertinent to ntpd, but I'd
> need an authoritative answer and there is no place like this list to
> find real expert of computer clocks and time synchronization.
> Too many wannabes and professed experts out there.

Plenty here too?

Why not ask @ linux-kvm.org ?
 They should know the specifics
  of their implementation of virtualization better than others?

...> clock synchronization in KVM

<https://s19n.net/articles/2011/kvm_clock.html>
<https://access.redhat.com/documentation/en-US/Red_Hat_Enterprise_Virtualization_for_Servers/2.2/html/Administration_Guide/chap-Virtualization-KVM_guest_timing_management.html>
<http://doc.opensuse.org/documentation/html/openSUSE_114/opensuse-kvm/cha.libvirt.config.html#sec.kvm.managing.clock>
<http://th.oughts.org/2014/04/kvmclock.html>

> I didn't collect any data but so far it turned out that, once syncing
> the VM's system clock to a reliable source via ntpdate, and then syncing
> the VM's hardware clock with the system clock via hwclock --systohc,
> everything seems to stay in sync,

Try ntpd.exe -g ... instead of ntpdate first?

  will be added to the BlackLists.