[ntp:questions] 2xGPS and 4x peers setup - disturbed by 5th and 6th peer

ardi peter.knezel at gmail.com
Fri Oct 31 11:32:26 UTC 2014

Hello Martin,

GPS sources=Meinberg LANTIME time server with antenna that uses
GPS: Satellite receiver for the Global Positioning System.

do you speak about bigger jitter in remote.yy?

remote refid st t when poll reach delay offset jitter
*local.xx .GPS. 1 u 1 16 377 0.344 -0.037 0.046
+remote.yy .GPS. 1 u - 16 377 34.258 -0.074 0.273

>Have you had a look at:
>http://doc.ntp.org/4.2.6p5/prefer.html#peer
>
>This explains the way ntpd selects the time sources it uses preferably.

the problem is would like to exclude these annoying time sources via configuring ntp.conf on my 4 peers correctly.

>Also see the link above to understand why "prefer" may not always work
>as you might expect.

I have thought the server is sets priority according to lines in ntp.conf.
does this mean if jitter on remote GPS is much bigger than the jitter
of 3 peers (or any of them), then this GPS source is omitted/skipped?

>This sounds like the upstream server isn't reachable, or claims to be
>*not* synchronized.

well, this is the error/problem i would like to solve.
is there a line missing in the stratum3 server's ntp.conf file?

Ardi