[ntp:questions] Windows-ntp on a vps creates a bigger and bigger delay?

Martin Burnicki martin.burnicki at meinberg.de
Wed Sep 3 08:29:49 UTC 2014

gooly wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I just installed ntp on my Win 7 pc where it runs perfectly the
> difference is around 0,5 sec.
>
> Then I installed ntp on my 2008 R 2vps where the delay gets bigger and
> bigger, around 12 sec per 30 min ??
>
> For both installations I used more or less the default suggestion of ntp.
>
> Is anybody here who can tell me what's going wrong?
> What I can do instead of restating ntp again and again as after a
> restart the delay is practically 0?
>
> Here is an example the delay to ts1.aco.net but I was using
> ptbtime3.ptb.de before that and had the same results:
>
> 16:29:07 avg. delay:  1,60 prv:  0,00 next check: 16:54:21
> 16:54:29 avg. delay: 12,99 prv:  1,60 next check: 17:24:21
> 17:24:30 avg. delay: 25,20 prv: 12,99 next check: 17:54:21
> 17:54:29 avg. delay: 39,52 prv: 25,20 next check: 18:24:21
>
> I first tried the the ntp suggestion to create the ntp-user to run ntp.
> Now I re-installed ntp to define the Win.-User SYSTEM (no good as ntp
> says) to run ntp but the result hasn't changed at all.
>
> My time-check uses one of the ntp-server for ntp.
>
> If I (re-) start ntp the delay is immediately practically 0 and as of
> then the vps-clock creeps on..

You need to replace the NTP binaries by a newer version which contains
another workaround for a limitation on current Windows versions, and you
should use

server a.b.c.d iburst minpoll 6 maxpoll 6

to get the most accurate results. For details please see
http://lists.ntp.org/pipermail/questions/2014-June/038285.html

Martin
--
Martin Burnicki