[ntp:questions] Best practices

Marco Marongiu brontolinux at gmail.com
Thu Sep 4 09:41:00 UTC 2014

I understand that clients in one DC will use both the NTP servers in the
same DC and in the other one. Is my understanding correct?

On 09/04/2014 10:03 AM, Mike Edwards wrote:
> The DCs support remote offices. I am thinking of configuring the
> Linux hosts with 3 time servers, the two at the closest DC, and one
> from the other DC.

the downside of this configuration is that if you lose connectivity to
the DC that provides the single NTP server, you'll end up with the
clients using two NTP servers, which gives poor results.

I believe you can mitigate this in two ways:

1) have three servers in each DC and have the clients in the remote
offices connect to all the six of them -- if you lose connectivity to
one DC you will still run on more than two servers

2) use the configuration you mentioned but have the clients in the
remote offices "prefer" one of the servers from the DC that serves two.
This way you'll make ntpd "trust" (so to say) more one of the two and
partially mitigate the bad side effects of having two.

my 0.02

Ciao!
-- bronto