[ntp:questions] PPS + Win2008R2-64 bit

David Taylor david-taylor at blueyonder.co.uk.invalid
Tue Sep 9 08:54:16 UTC 2014

On 09/09/2014 06:46, valizadeh65 at gmail.com wrote:
> NTP+PPS works just fine on XP/32 and Win7/32.
> Here is what i have on ntpq -p
>
> remote           refid      st t when poll reach   delay   offset  jitter
> oGPS_NMEA(1)     .GPS.            0 l   72   16  360    0.000    0.108   0.008
>
> Unfortunately, when I test it on Win2008 R2-64bit, PPS driver does not start.
>
> I followed instructions on and did all the steps carefully, but it keeps failing.
> http://www.satsignal.eu/ntp/NTP-on-Windows-Vista.html
>
> My configuration is as follows:
> -----------ntp.conf------------------
> server 127.127.22.1 minpoll 4  #PPS
> server 127.127.20.1  minpoll 10 maxpoll 10 mode 16  prefer  #GPS,BAUD:9600
> fudge 127.127.20.1 flag1 1 flag3 1 stratum 0
> --------------------------------------
>
> Here are some screenshots:
>
> 1.	The windows event log states NTP error messages
> http://www.imageupload.co.uk/images/2014/09/09/event_log.png
>
> 2.	Environment variable setting
> http://www.imageupload.co.uk/images/2014/09/09/Env_Var.png
>
> 3.	COM1 driver details for Serialpps.sys
> http://www.imageupload.co.uk/images/2014/09/09/SerialPPS.png
>

> i think the serialpps is not working, so I tested different driver versions, but none worked!
> serialpps-20090606
> serialpps-20091228
> serialpps-20120321-signed
>
> Maybe I missed something along the way?
>
> 1-Is the "not digitally signed" normal in screenshots 3??
> 2-Any one tested PPS driver in win64 successfully?
>
> Regards,

To check that your environment variable is correct, try:
   dir %PPSAPI_DLLS%

Here's what I get:
C:\Users\David>dir %PPSAPI_DLLS%
  Volume in drive C is Alta system disk
  Volume Serial Number is 40B6-09AE

  Directory of C:\Tools\NTP\PPS

20/07/2011  03:51            69,120 serialpps-ppsapi-provider.dll
                1 File(s)         69,120 bytes
                0 Dir(s)  26,077,392,896 bytes free

The serialpps drivers kindly supplied by Meinberg /are/ signed, so
please check you are using the correct download.  The link I have is:

http://support.ntp.org/people/burnicki/windows/serialpps-20120321-signed.zip

which should now be:
   http://people.ntp.org/burnicki/windows/serialpps-20120321-signed.zip

I did find at one stage that the .BAT file suppled didn't do the whole
job, but that was likely some time back, and on XP.  Note that I kept
the DLL (and all other NTP files) well clear of the limited \Program
Files\ directory.  See my guide here:

   http://www.satsignal.eu/ntp/setup.html

However, I have no recent experience of Windows Server.

--
Cheers,
David