[ntp:questions] Compensating for asymmetric delay on a per-peer/server basis?

David Lord snews at lordynet.org
Thu Sep 11 23:00:32 UTC 2014

mike cook wrote:
> Le 11 sept. 2014 à 21:08, Paul a écrit :
>
>> On Thu, Sep 11, 2014 at 2:08 PM, mike cook <michael.cook at sfr.fr> wrote:
>>>  Did I miss something?
>> On Tue, Sep 9, 2014 at 3:17 PM, Rich Wales <richw at richw.org> wrote:
>>> My home LAN is connected to my school's network via a cable modem.
>> If we make the (safe) assumption of a common cable ISP/FiOS in the
>> Palo Alto area the path is asymmetric.
>
>   Yup, AsymmetricDSL does have different up/down bit rates. What I really meant was that the difference would not explain his issue.
>   ex: with a 12Mbps down rate and 1.3Mbps up rate, the ratio is around 40usec to 300usec transfer of a 48byte NTP packet.

Hi

My experience is different. Due to uplink pipe being very much
less capable than downlink I had 10-100ms latencies if pipe was
full. Solution for me was to limit my outgoing rates to 80-90%
which actually increased upload speed by almost 2x.

I've adjusted that filter since 2005 each time my adsl has been
upgraded.

David