[ntp:questions] what does this mean for me??

David Taylor david-taylor at blueyonder.co.uk.invalid
Sat Sep 13 16:42:14 UTC 2014

On 13/09/2014 15:55, gooly wrote:
> Hi,
> I am new to ntp. and acc to my prev. mails I was checking the running
> but not time-changing ntp and did:
>
>> C:\Windows\System32>ntpq -p
>>      remote           refid      st t when poll reach   delay
>> offset  jitter
>>
>>  minion.webershe 192.53.103.108   2 u   65   64  377    8.932  34341.1
>> 2565.99
>>  alvo.fungus.at  .STEP.          16 u    - 1024    0    0.000
>> 0.000   0.000
>
> Now what does this mean in the 2nd line: .STEP. and
>> reach   delay   offset  jitter
>>    0    0.000    0.000   0.000

.STEP. means that a connection is being established, an attempt to
connect.  If it doesn't change to something different within a few
minutes it means that NTP can't connect.

By the way, you might care to look at the "peer" option on the Web page
I previously referenced - NTP will drop unresponsive servers and try to
replace them by "good" ones.

--
Cheers,
David