[ntp:questions] no drift-file on 2008 R2 vps and the time diff. is getting bigger and bigger?

gooly gooly at gmx.at
Sun Sep 14 07:04:30 UTC 2014

Thank you, Harlan
now I start to understand!

(keeping all is getting too long, so I delete most of the post)

> The frequency of 500ppm indicates ntpd has "hit its limit" of how much
> adjusting it can do.  leap=11 means ntpd is not synchronized.
>
> The first thing to fix is the problem with clock frequency.
I can't fix the clock freq.-problem. It's a vps which probably shares
the physical server with other vps.
Is this a valid indicator that the provider should do a better load
distribution because other run on their vps programs at 'full power'
which 'steals' the clock interrupts?
I guess I have to switch the provider.

2)
> If you run at debug level 1, you should also see messages about the
> drift file update process.
How do I start the Windows-Meinberg-version in a debug modus?
The cmd-start-line is:    net start ntp

3)
> On some systems (as I recall), a non-existent drift file will not be
> created - you might try creating an empty one and seeing what happens.
I took the one of my pc and copied it into the etc-folder and changed
its value to 500 - I'll see.

4)
> If yuor system is *slowing* by 7 sec every 15 minutes, I suspect you are
> losing clock interrupts.
>
> At that rate ntpd will never be able to keep your clock sync'd.
Does this mean ntp will not even try to set the clock - it just gives up?

I just restarted ntp by "net start ntp -g" the clock was adjusted and
now has a offset of 0.33 sec,
the ntp.drift exitst in /etc with '500'.
I'll see what happens.

Thanks so far to all,
Gooly