[ntp:questions] no drift-file on 2008 R2 vps and the time diff. is getting bigger and bigger?

Rob nomail at example.com
Sun Sep 14 08:29:30 UTC 2014

gooly <gooly at gmx.at> wrote:
> I can't fix the clock freq.-problem. It's a vps which probably shares
> the physical server with other vps.
> Is this a valid indicator that the provider should do a better load
> distribution because other run on their vps programs at 'full power'
> which 'steals' the clock interrupts?
> I guess I have to switch the provider.

When you have a VPS and you want the time synced, it is also possible
to have the provider do that for you.  They can change a setting in
their virtual machine setup (maybe you can even change it yourself)
to control the real time clock in your machine.

When you want to sync it yourself, ntpd is not required at all, Windows
can do this itself.  Lookup the documentation for the windows time
service, you can configure it to use an external NTP server.

It is not very accurate, but when you require really accurate time
a VPS is not for you.  Really accurate time requires a physical machine
and another operating system than Windows.