[ntp:questions] no drift-file on 2008 R2 vps and the time diff. is getting bigger and bigger?

gooly gooly at gmx.at
Sun Sep 14 09:32:10 UTC 2014

Hi,

Am 14.09.2014 10:29, schrieb Rob:
> gooly <gooly at gmx.at> wrote:
>> I can't fix the clock freq.-problem. It's a vps which probably shares
>> the physical server with other vps.
>> Is this a valid indicator that the provider should do a better load
>> distribution because other run on their vps programs at 'full power'
>> which 'steals' the clock interrupts?
>> I guess I have to switch the provider.
>
> When you have a VPS and you want the time synced, it is also possible
> to have the provider do that for you.  They can change a setting in
> their virtual machine setup (maybe you can even change it yourself)
> to control the real time clock in your machine.
Well initially I thought this and I complained that the clock was so
wrong - but I was told that this is up to me and so I started to
discipline this very unhasty or sleeping clock :(

> When you want to sync it yourself, ntpd is not required at all, Windows
> can do this itself.  Lookup the documentation for the windows time
> service, you can configure it to use an external NTP server.
I know! But w32tm is started to resync every x seconds. So it can happen
that  w32tm changes the time while I am logging which will disable a
later time-sort!

> It is not very accurate, but when you require really accurate time
> a VPS is not for you.  Really accurate time requires a physical machine
> and another operating system than Windows.
But I can insist to require a clock with an offset less than 1 second
per hour or per 2 hours - no?

Regards
Gooly