[ntp:questions] Fwd: Re: no drift-file on 2008 R2 vps and the time diff. is getting bigger and bigger?

Mon Sep 15 05:39:41 UTC 2014

On 2014-09-14 05:42, gooly wrote:

>> Insist to whom? I doubt that your provider feels that is their
>> obligation. Nor that he deliver a monotonic, non-jumping clock to you.
>> And ntp cannot discipline a clock which it decides is off by more than
>> 500PPM as averaged over a number of cycles.
>>
> Well, I don't know much about the Windows-Server 2008 R2 but couldn't it
> be that if I share the realy server with too many other clients not only
> my performance goes down but as well the clock is getting slower?
> If so (?) I can ask him to either reduce the no. of clients or I will
> look for another provider - no?
>
> But as I said I don't know enough yet about this.
>
> Do you know a tool to check easily the available performance of the vps?

VPS is the generic name of a service offering, not a VM product.
Check what VM product your VPS provider is using, what guest VM tools are
provided by that product, and what settings are available from the guest.

If they are using MS Hyper-V, you are probably limited to Windows Time
Service and any attempt to use NTP or get accurate time may be doomed.
--
Take care. Thanks, Brian Inglis