[ntp:questions] ntp on Win 7(64): Windows' Backup misses some ntp-files

Rob nomail at example.com
Mon Sep 22 08:45:42 UTC 2014

detha <detha at foad.co.za> wrote:
> On Sun, 21 Sep 2014 11:25:29 +0100, David Taylor wrote:
>
>> On 21/09/2014 08:05, gooly wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> On my (home) Win-7(64) ntp (Meinberg-Version) is running and I am very
>>> pleased!
>>>
>>> But today I started Windows's Backup and it finished with this error
>>> message: The Backup completed but some files were skipped: And the files
>>> were:
>>> I couldn't find it either and I created theses two folders. I'll see
>>> what will happen next weekend.
>>>
>>> To me it's only a 'cosmetic' thing but I want to let you know. May be
>>> due ntp's Linux origin I would suggest that the creation function of the
>>> npt user just creates theses (empty) folders too?
>>>
>>> Any way thank you again,
>>> Gooly
>>
>> I have never seen "Contacts" and "Searches" for the NTP user account.
>> Perhaps your backup software incorrectly expects them?
>
> See http://support.microsoft.com/kb/979281
>
> Microsoft in their wisdom thinks they should be there, all
> the OP is asking for is the 'simple' solution for 'Scenario 2' to be
> automated.
>
> -d

It looks like it means that whenever you make a new user on a Windows 7
system, then make backups before that user has ever logged on, the backup
will result in error messages.
(those special folders are created the first time a user logs on)

Apparently, instead of fixing that bug in the backup program, Microsoft
wants everyone to create those folders so their broken backup program
can back them up.