[ntp:questions] Trouble Simulating Leap Seconds

Miroslav Lichvar mlichvar at redhat.com
Thu Apr 9 08:52:10 UTC 2015

On Wed, Apr 08, 2015 at 12:31:18PM -0400, Jim Witschey wrote:
> Thanks for the pointer, Chris -- that didn't seem to help, though. I'd
> been setting the clock to 23:50, and INS wasn't set at midnight when I
> changing that to 23:45.

With what ntp version are you trying this and does is it have a valid
drift file on start? If it's a 4.2.6 or older and there is no drift
file, it will need at least 15 minutes to estimate the initial
frequency and only then it can set the leap status.

Also, is the server reporting synchronized status right from the
start? You might want to start at 23:30 to be sure both server and
client had enough time to synchronize.

--
Miroslav Lichvar