[ntp:questions] reachability register

Charles Elliott elliott.ch at comcast.net
Thu Apr 9 12:24:04 UTC 2015

Hello:

	All I can say is, it does that sometimes.  I think what might be
happening is that ntpq caught ntpd before the reachability register was
updated, although it updates that fairly early in the game.  You can see the
code in proto.c in a recent source distribution, like here:

Tarball:

http://archive.ntp.org/ntp4/ntp-dev/ntp-dev-4.3.14.tar.gz

MD5 sum:

http://archive.ntp.org/ntp4/ntp-dev/ntp-dev-4.3.14.tar.gz.md5

	If you want to see it work correctly and you are using Windows,
start the Meinberg NTP Monitor and set it to monitor your Internet-facing
NTP client.  On a non-Windows O/S, just use the host command to set ntpq to
the Internet-facing NTP client and repeatedly send it the peers command.

	In any case, then unplug your Internet modem and your router.  Wait
a few seconds (~60), plug the modem back in, then after a few seconds (~30)
plug in your router.  Then watch the Meinberg NTP Monitor or the ntpq peers
output of the reachability register.  You should see something like the
following:

 Binary    Octal
  1000000	100
 10000001	201