[ntp:questions] Help verifying accuracy of NTP server

Joachim Fabini Joachim.Fabini at tuwien.ac.at
Wed Dec 2 20:00:25 UTC 2015

NTP algorithms rely on symmetric connection delay but DSL delay is
commonly highly asymmetrical. In measurements for my setup (VDSL;
8Mbit/s DL, 768kbit/s UL), the VDSL one-way delay at low packet payload
averages 12ms for DL and 6ms for UL. Very surprising if you consider the
DL/UL capacity ratio of larger than 10:1. Reason is activated
interleaving on DL; you can use the diagrams on slide 3 of
https://irtf.org/raim-2015-slides/fman/fabini.pdf as guidance and find
some related text in the referenced paper.
The specific DL/UL one-way delay depends on your specific VDSL UL/DL
line capacity and configuration, as well as on the NTP packet size
(please note the distinct y axis ranges on the two referenced diagrams).
But the offset you've reported matches the order of magnitude of VDSL
line asymmetry that I've measured.

Without detailed measurements you can't be sure. But based on your data
and my measurement results, my best guess is that the offset you're
seeing can be (and most likely is) caused by VDSL delay asymmetry.

Joachim