[ntp:questions] Horrible performance with 4.2.8p3?

Marco Marongiu brontolinux at gmail.com
Fri Dec 4 08:47:55 UTC 2015

Hi there

Due to challenges to produce our own Debian packages for 4.2.8p4 to fix
DSA-3388[1], we decided to downgrade to the 4.2.6 packages in bundle
with Debian 6, 7 and 8. We had been running 4.2.8p3 since late June to
implement our own countermeasures for the leap second[2].

>From the data we have in munin it appears that ntpd 4.2.8p3 has been
working terribly bad during these months, to the point that when I saw
the graphs this morning I thought that all of our servers were broken.

You'll find a few graphs from munin (if mailman doesn't strip them).
Notice how things changed at the end of June (4.2.8 installed) and
yesterday (downgrade to 4.2.6). Also consider that the yearly graphs are
much "smoother" than reality because of RRD.

[1] https://www.debian.org/security/2015/dsa-3388
[2]
http://syslog.me/2015/06/04/a-humble-attempt-to-work-around-the-leap-second-2015-edition/