[ntp:questions] Type 28 driver (gpsd, SHM) - understanding "flag1"

David Taylor david-taylor at blueyonder.co.uk.invalid
Sat Feb 21 13:30:44 UTC 2015

On 21/02/2015 11:40, Harlan Stenn wrote:
> David Taylor writes:
>> Thanks, Mike.  We are carrying out some tests, but it means leaving the
>> computer down for at least several hours, and we've been trying about 24
>> hours down so far, so progress isn't rapid!  If flag1 allows
>> off-the-network operation after several days outage, that will be fine,
>> but I will have to document it on my Web page.
>
> Again, making corrections like this only on your web pages is
> counter-productive.
>
> It *hurts* NTP when incorrect information on the wiki or in the docs is
> not corrected.
>
> It *hurts* NTP when you take eyeballs away from our site, as we need all
> the help we can get to motivate folks to join or donate.

I think there's a misunderstanding here!  I am not saying that the
information is incorrect, simply that I did not understand it.  Until
further tests are completed (by someone else), I will not know whether
the extra flag is useful in our circumstances.

Do you consider "How to make an NTP server with a Raspberry Pi" to be
appropriate material for your site?  It's the first I've heard of it, if
so.  These are the two pages which I hope to update:

   http://www.satsignal.eu/ntp/Raspberry-Pi-quickstart.html
   http://www.satsignal.eu/ntp/Raspberry-Pi-NTP.html

I can add a pointer to your site if you would like to suggest a suitable
starting page.

--
Cheers,
David