[ntp:questions] NTP 4.2.8 for Windows, not branded

Martin Burnicki martin.burnicki at burnicki.net
Sat Jan 10 18:13:52 UTC 2015

Jan,

I'm just replying to your post because it the most recent one in this
thread.

Jan Ceuleers wrote:
> On 09/01/15 15:58, trackeroftime at gmail.com wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> I'm looking for compiled NTP 4.2.8 for Windows. I know Meinberg's version but unfortunately it is branded.
>> Does anybody know such binary package?
>> I want to avoid compiling it by myself if I can.
>>
>> best regards
>> Johny
>
> Johny,
>
> What Meinberg have done is to (1) compile ntpd and (2) wrap it into an
> installer. Because the upstream ntpd does not include a Windows installer.

Right.

There is no branding in the NTP binaries. The only branding is in the
installer.

For those who don't know: I'm the person at Meinberg who builds the
binaries, the whole intention of the installer is just to simplify
installation under Windows. I'm just writing this from home.

Here is a some clarification:

The stock 4.2.8 version didn't compile under Windows. I had to do some
changes to the Visual Studio project files (which are part of the NTP
source code) to get this done. A "define" had to be added to the
config.h file, and a new source code .c module hat to be added to the
libntp project file. That's all. The changes have been submitted to the
NTP source tree and are now in the current version of the repo.

Soon there will be a patch version 4.2.8p1 which fixes a few more build
problems. Actually there are BETA versions of the p1 versions available
which can be tested to be sure p1 compiles properly.

Please note that beside the NTP binaries you also need the openssl DLL
in the version against which the binaries have been built, otherwise
ntpd fails to start.

> It would also be possible to just take the binaries (for example the
> ones David makes available), manually put them in the right places on
> the Windows machine, manually set the thing up as a service, etc. In
> other words, to manually do the work of an installer.

Right.

There is no branding in the NTP binaries. The only branding is in the
installer.

For those who don't know: I'm the person at Meinberg who builds the
binaries, the whole intention of the installer is just to simplify
installation under Windows.

Here is a some clarification:

The stock 4.2.8 version didn't compile under Windows. I had to do some
changes to the Visual Studio project files (which are part of the NTP
source code) to get this done. A "define" had to be added to the
config.h file, and a new source code .c module hat to be added to the
libntp project file. That's all. The changes have been submitted to the
NTP source tree and are now in the current version of the repo.

Soon there will be a patch version 4.2.8p1 which fixes a few more build
problems. Actually there are BETA versions of the p1 versions available
which can be tested to be sure p1 compiles properly.

Please note that beside the NTP binaries you also need the openssl DLL
in the version against which the binaries have been built, otherwise
ntpd fails to start.

> Your choice.

Jepp.

Martin