[ntp:questions] Leap second to be introduced in June

brian utterback brian.utterback at oracle.com
Mon Jan 12 04:34:57 UTC 2015

On 1/11/2015 10:40 PM, William Unruh wrote:
> On 2015-01-12, Mike S <mikes at flatsurface.com> wrote:
>> On 1/11/2015 7:16 PM, William Unruh wrote:
>>> If that public source is responsible it will pass on to your
>>> system the fact that there is a leapsecond, and your system will "stop"
>>> for a second at the last second of June.
>> A system which properly implements leap seconds will do no such thing.
>> It will properly account for a minute with 61 seconds, and will tick
>> from 23:59:59 to 23:59:60 then to 00:00:00.
>>
>> There is no "stopping," or any other discontinuity.
> Well, actually as I understand it, ntpd does stop the cclock for that
> second, making sure that every successive read of the clock during that
> time is later than the one before by a few microseconds. until the
> second ends.

That is not the case. That is the behavior that the kernel reference
code implements which is not part of ntpd. It is up to the individual OS
leap second implementers to determine the behavior they implemented,
which may or may not behave this way.

--
Brian Utterback
Solaris RPE, Oracle Corporation.