[ntp:questions] Leap second to be introduced in June

Michael Moroney moroney at world.std.spaamtrap.com
Mon Jan 12 15:14:05 UTC 2015

Rob <nomail at example.com> writes:

>Michael Moroney <moroney at world.std.spaamtrap.com> wrote:
>> If I have a system synchronized with a public NTP source, which is
>> synchronized with an atomic clock that provides leap second info, and
>> I am watching carefully, what will happen when the leap second hits?  Will
>> my system suddenly find its clock off by 1 second and slowly drift to
>> the accurate time provided by the NTP server?

>That depends on what kind of system it is.
>Carefully designed systems will do the right thing.

I was wondering if there was a predefined "right thing" used by ntpd for
dealing with leap seconds.

The system I am thinking about (OpenVMS) is probably unfamiliar with
others here.  It uses Unix code (ntp 4.2.something) as a base for its NTP
server.

Internally, its clock is based on the number of nanoseconds since a base
date.  It is impossible for it to represent an internal time of 23:59:60.
Conversion of such a time from ascii to the internal format will result in
an error.