[ntp:questions] Leap second to be introduced in June

Brian Utterback brian.utterback at oracle.com
Mon Jan 12 18:27:20 UTC 2015

On 1/12/2015 6:29 AM, Mike Cook wrote:
>>> Not true. That would violate POSIX. There is no "properly implements",
>>> or "right thing".
>> Perhaps you're unaware that POSIX isn't the One True Operating System specification.
>>
>> "Properly implements" means it follows the well defined, 40 year old normative specification for handling leap seconds, which requires supporting minutes with 59 or 61 seconds. That's something POSIX doesn't properly implement.
> Agreed. It is often overlooked that leap seconds were implemented from 1972 and POSIX only  saw the light of day in 1988. So POSIX is just plain wrong here IMHO.

Of course I am aware that POSIX isn't the one true operating system
specification. But it certainly is a specification. And for a very large
number of people in the world, POSIX conformity is more important than
the UTC specification. I agree that POSIX was wrong, but it is what it
is. What is the "right thing to do" if you have two conflicting standards?

Brian Utterback