[ntp:questions] Leap second to be introduced in June

Harlan Stenn stenn at ntp.org
Tue Jan 13 09:20:12 UTC 2015

Hal Murray writes:
> [Context is google-smear.]
>
> > For distributed logging you have to use the same method for every single
> > node, but that is the case today as well. :-(
>
> > I.e. with one domain smearing and another stepping, the times between  them
> > will be skewed over the entire smearing period.
>
> How often do people working with log files from 2 systems care about
> fractions of a second?

The General Timestamp API timestamps include a timescale, and this
includes a way to put a timestamp into a canonical form.  That meeans
that one can do arithmetic, compare, and convert timestamps that use
arbitrary timescales.  This would include timestamps using the Google
leap smear, TAI, or UTC (at least).