[ntp:questions] NTP 4.2.8 for Windows, not branded

Martin Burnicki martin.burnicki at meinberg.de
Tue Jan 13 14:25:06 UTC 2015

Brian Inglis wrote:
> On 2015-01-12 00:32, Harlan Stenn wrote:
>> Brian Inglis writes:
>
>>> Current OpenSSL version is 1.0.1k since maintenance improved
>>> after Heartbleed encouraged LF/CII and others to fund OpenSSL.
>>> Which OpenSSL version is currently required?
>>> Any way that support of updated OpenSSL versions by ntpd could be
>>> improved?
>>
>> You're talking about the windows version, right?
>
> Yes, as that appears to have issues using updated releases:

> as I tried to update with previous stable, found this problem, and had
> to revert.

Which previous stable do you mean? ntpd or openSSL?

Ntpd does a version check of the openSSL DLL/shared object library when
it starts. It compares the version of the library available on the host
system at runtime to the version of the library used at compilation time.

If I remember correctly then this check accepts only patch levels, i.e.
if ntpd has been compiled against openSSL v1.0.1j it will accept all
openSSL v1.0.1* versions, e.g. v1.0.1k, but it should refuse to start
with openSSL v1.0.0*.

Sounds reasonable to me.

I've just verified that the ntpd v4.2.8 compiled by me against openSSL
1.0.1j also works if I replace openssl by v1.0.1k.

Martin
--
Martin Burnicki

Meinberg Funkuhren