[ntp:questions] Nice fanless high-perf NTP server: Fitlet!

Rob nomail at example.com
Thu Jan 15 17:03:01 UTC 2015

Terje Mathisen <terje.mathisen at tmsw.no> wrote:
> http://linuxgizmos.com/tiny-fanless-mini-pc-runs-linux-on-quad-core-amd-soc/
>
> This little guy starts at $129 and includes a serial port which should
> make it trivial to attach a Sure GPS board.
>
> With a dual or quad 64-bit CPU, both SATA and SD storage connectors and
> versions that support multiple Gbit/s Ethernet ports, it would seem to
> be a nice NTPD startum 1 server.

First I would verify if it really runs to microsecond accuracy, at least
when you require that.  My experience with small computers running NTP
synced to PPS that they have a tendency to be 1-3 magnitudes worse at
timing stability, probably because of the lack of a sufficiently fast
and accurate timing counter.

Of course, it could still be good enough when you want to use it as a
network time server.  It wasn't good enough for my co-channeling software
that requires the clock to be accurate within a few microseconds.
Intel CPU driven 64-bit PC systems have no problem with that.