[ntp:questions] Leap second to be introduced in June

Chris Adams cmadams at cmadams.net
Fri Jan 16 04:41:49 UTC 2015

Once upon a time, Phil W Lee  <phil at lee-family.me.uk> said:
>For the tiny number of programs which really need UTC (not TAI), it
>would just be a different number, but the only thing I know of which
>really needs UTC rather than TAI would be programs to assist with
>astronomy or astral navigation.

I think one problem with OS clocks in TAI is that counting it correctly
requires active/on-going maintenance at unknownable intervals for all
systems that use any form of timestamps (including for example anything
that uses network file systems).

Also, you can't properly represent future timestamps (necessary for some
things) as seconds since an epoch, and that's pretty widely used.  By
that I mean that the number of seconds between 2015-06-30 23:59:00 and
2015-07-01 00:00:00 has changed since last month.

--
Chris Adams <cmadams at cmadams.net>