[ntp:questions] NTP Autokey - who is actively using it?

Martin Burnicki martin.burnicki at meinberg.de
Fri Jan 16 09:05:19 UTC 2015

Magnus Danielson wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On 01/15/2015 03:06 AM, Harlan Stenn wrote:
>> I'm trying to figure out if anybody is actively using autokey, in a
>> production deployment.
>>
>> If you are, please let me know - I have some questions for you.
>>

> We use it to pull leap-second info off the NTP servers.
>
> It took some effort to get it running, and well, it hasn't been painless
> but we now got the process debugged anyway.
>
> Did the authkey-less distribution of leap-second info ever got
> implemented? I do know there was an I-D essentially interprenting the
> existing RFCs in such a way.

The new tzdist protocol will support getting leap second information
from a tzdist server. This uses the http protocol, so it can also
fetched via https to make sure the information is authentic.

I'm expecting that once the tzdist standardization process has finished
time servers will serve both NTP or PTP, and tzdist.

This could be used to update the local TZDB including the leap second
file, so the "right" timezones can also be updated automatically, and
also programs like ntpd or ptpd could use this information, if the glue
logic is available.

Martin
--
Martin Burnicki